Saturday, January 30, 2010

Jan 30: New Year Fest 2010

Today we had our local annual Ultimate Frisbee tournament. As I still can't play due to my knee, I tried to document the day with pictures. The ladies that I am a captain for had two teams, so I spent time watching both of them plus the local guys' teams.


187mm, f/6.3, 1/1600s, ISO 400, sports mode, cropped

  • For those of you that don't play Ultimate, this is called a layout. This is a really good layout. I love the fact that I was able to capture the timing of this, but I am disappointed with the focus. Auto focus in sports mode really seems to be fickle. The uncropped version had a lot more of the car in the shot, so I guess that's why the camera chose it to focus on. If anyone has suggestions on how to avoid this, I'm all ears.
  • I was surprised that I only took ~160 photos today considering sports mode usually takes 2-3 shots at a time (it keeps taking shots as long as you hold down the button so you make sure to get good timing). I wish I took more. (The rest of the good ones can be found on my facebook page).
  • I made a conscience effort today to get more of the sideline action. Ultimate is exciting to watch, but unless you have some great layouts or jumps, not very exciting in pictures. I wanted to get more "people" shots. I think I did fairly well on that point.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent action shot!

    If you want your autofocus to just focus on the center of the image, shoot in Program (P) instead of Sports. You should still be able to set your own ISO (1/1600 is faster than you need to capture action like this, so I would go with 200, or even 100 ISO), and you should be able to set your drive mode to Burst, and if you set it to spot metering, then your pictures should have the right focus, and be properly exposed on the subject.

    Or you could shoot in TV, and set your shutter speed and ISO for slightly more control.

    ReplyDelete