Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jan 23: More tomato

Today Owen and I were checking out the garden, when we found two red grape (or are they cherry?) tomatoes, the first red tomatoes of the season. Perfect! One for him, one for me. As soon as he tasted it, he quickly said "mo tom-toe" (more tomato). Well, those were the only red ones on the vines, so later we came inside to eat some we got from the store. But before that we took a look at the other vines (larger tomatoes, but I can't recall the type right now):

50mm, 1/50s, f3.2, ISO250, some cropping, matrix metering mode, aperture priority mode

  • I just now realized this was at 1/50s, slower than my usual rule of 1/60sec or faster for hand holding (without IS). If I had realized that I would have turned up the ISO even more, but this was somewhat of a spur-of-the-moment shot (which it usually is with kids!).
  • If this was more of a planned shot, I would have also played with the exposure. Because of the dark background and the matrix metering, Owen's hand looks a bit overexposed (at least on this monitor). The tomato might also look a bit better if I underexposed a little.
  • I can't wait for "mo [red] tom-toes"!

1 comment:

  1. Man. I've got 8 inches of snow and ice on top of my garden right now. How are you growing tomatoes?

    And nice shot. Excellent composition for a spur-of-the-moment. And for 1/50 with no IS, that's impressively sharp.

    ReplyDelete