Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jan 12: Old Man Cactus

Owen had a fever again today (took him to the doctor - ear infection), so I was home in the morning. I happened to look out the window to see the "Old Man Cactus" (I think that's it's actual common name, I'm not making that up) in our backyard backlit by the sun. This was taken around 9am:

70mm, 1/1000s, f4.0, ISO 200, aperture priority mode, matrix metering mode, no post-processing

  • The backlighting looks ok on this, not quite what I was hoping for, but decent.
  • I did not have my lens hood on for this shot. I wasn't thinking about lens flare, which I obviously should have been (lesson learned there!). I want to play around with deliberately trying to achieve lens flare, so I don't mind that it happened in this shot.
  • I took some shots in landscape orientation, which really didn't look good. When your subject is up right like this is, portrait orientation is the way to go. That's why most people shots should be in portrait orientation (duh, that's why they named it "portrait"!). I have to remind myself that all the time.

2 comments: