Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 10: Bathtime

Most of you have already seen billions of pictures of Owen, so this is nothing new, but for anyone who may not know me, this is my son Owen, 22 months old. It only took me 10 days.



50mm, 1/100s, f/2.5, ISO 1250, aperture priority mode, matrix metering mode, no post-processing

  • I think I mentioned in yesterday's blog how important eye catch lights are in pictures of people. This photo would be vastly improved if he had some in his eyes. Some of the others I took did, but I like Owen's expression in this one.
  • I'm not a big fan of the color in this one, but not sure how to improve it. I think it's mainly the nature of the lights in that room.
  • One thing that sets apart good photographers from your everyday point-and-shooters is the composition. Too many people put their subject in the middle of the frame. One of the first things you learn if you study photography is the rule of thirds. While Owen's eyes aren't exactly at a 1/3 line (the photo probably would have been improved if they were), the extra space at his right makes this a more interesting picture then if he was right in the middle with space on both sides.

2 comments:

  1. This might help you fix the color:

    http://digital-photography-school.com/precise-color-cast-correction-with-gray-fill-layers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Once I get around to getting photoshop, I'll try that out. Isn't DPS awesome? :-)

    ReplyDelete