Friday, January 1, 2010

Jan 1: Lake Pleasant

Happy New Year everyone! Today my parents took Owen and I to Lake Pleasant for some boating. We did a lot of boating growing up, so it's a fun family event. We used to race in the Arizona Yacht Club (yes, it exists!), and now my parents are involved in the Lake Pleasant Sailing Club. My parents actually have two boats - the C-dory motorboat in the pictures from today, and a Montgomery 23 sailboat. We took the C-dory today as it's easier for Owen to move around in without us having to worry about him going overboard. I hope to get him out sailing soon.



I took a bunch of pictures at the lake, which can be viewed on my Picasa site. Keith picked this photo for me to post on the blog, as I wasn't sure which one to choose.


50mm (35mm equivalent 81mm), 1/640s, f/2.8, ISO 100, no post-processing


I was relatively happy with my pictures today. Some things of note:

  • When taking pictures of a body of water, it's important that you have the horizon straight, since it's pretty obvious when you don't!
  • It's fun to play with the sun sparkles on the water, but it can also wash out some photos.
  • I'm glad I thought to bring both my long lens (70-200mm) and my 50mm. It's hard to take photos with a long lens in a small cabin!
  • On this photo I was happy to see the little sparkle on the wheel. I feel like the items in the background at the top are a bit distracting, so I might play with cropping this even closer.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! The first thing I noticed when I looked at this picture was the sparkle on the wheel. I LOVE this project! I'm looking forward to your daily photos, you've taken some amazing pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!!! Def looking forward to everyday pics!

    I love Lake Pleasant. I bet Keith does too... since the entire thing looks like a lake of Mt Dew. :P

    ReplyDelete