Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jan 21: Wind!

Today was a very interesting day weather wise (as I write this we have a tornado warning in effect). Lots of rain and wind. Earlier this week I wanted to capture a picture of the rain, so today I wanted to play with a slower exposure to "capture" the wind.

116mm, f/8.0, 1/8s, ISO 400, aperture priority mode, hand held with image stabilization, no post-processing
  • I knew using a tripod would probably be best, but I wanted to test out the IS on my lens to see how much movement it would capture. I thought this turned out pretty good for 1/8sec.
  • It was difficult finding something interesting to take a picture of that fit my criteria: has both something that does not move (to show that I had the camera still), and something that was moving with the wind. I thought this worked pretty well.
  • I had some problems with my other pictures because I was shooting through dirty (and in some cases, wet) windows. This was taken from our second story window.

1 comment:

  1. 1/8th handheld? I don't care how good your IS is, that's a steady set of hands to get it that sharp.

    I like the wind. That's one of my to-do pictures; a tree bent over from the wind.

    Good shot!

    ReplyDelete