Friday, January 29, 2010

Jan 29: Potted Succulent

I came home early from work today. I had my important work done, was tired, and just really didn't feel like being at work on such a beautiful Friday afternoon. So I did something I haven't done in a long time - took a nap outside! It was nice curling up on a blanket in the grass in the sun. There were lots of noises, but I was able to fall asleep for 30 minutes or so. One of the noises I heard was the hummingbirds, and I awoke to one at the feeder. I had taken pictures of the hummingbirds at the feeder before, but was disappointed with the color. I later figured out that it was because they were in the shade. Today the feeder was partly in the sun, but the hummingbirds did not cooperate - the only pictures I got today were of them in the shade. So I'll try again some other day.


As I was taking those pictures I realized that I would need to overexpose the picture in order to get details of the hummingbird, so I changed the settings to Manual (another thing I hardly do!). When I figured out that the hummingbirds weren't going to cooperate, I started playing with underexposing and overexposing other things in our yard.

127mm, 1/50s, f/4.0, ISO 400, manual mode, matrix metering


  • There's no way to tell after-the-fact (at least I don't know a way) if this was one that was over or under exposed (compared to what the meter told me). This one came out the best.
  • The colors are somewhat bland, but I love taking pictures of this pot. I've done it before and probably will again!
  • I should probably take out the mark at the top left, but for now I am leaving it in. What I really should have done is do some "gardening" (as my photo teacher would say) while I was shooting, and moved whatever it was.

1 comment: