Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jan 20: Hot Cocoa

No rain today (although tomorrow is supposed to be a doozy), but a bit colder, so I sat down for a nice hot cup of cocoa:

50mm, f/1.8, 1/320s, ISO 1250, matrix metering, aperture priority, changed to Sepia in post-processing
  • Ok, so really I partly made the cocoa just to take it's picture. And then I stood up taking the pictures until it got lukewarm. You can see the whipped cream has melted pretty good. I did enjoy it afterwards, even though I messed up and didn't put enough cocoa mix in. Ug.
  • I took pictures of exactly this in the past and was really disappointed with how they came out. So what did I change this time? NOTHING. I really need to think things through before I start shooting. I should have played around with the metering and moved the cup to a different location, maybe added some other props, etc. I guess I was in a hurry because I didn't want it to completely cool off.
  • The good news is, I finally found a picture I like in Sepia! Although I think I lost some of the details of the whipped cream and chocolate shavings, I think this looks better than the original picture and the black and white version.
  • My next equipment purchase (which will probably be a while) will likely be something for macro shooting. I couldn't get as close to this as I would have liked.

1 comment: