Saturday, February 6, 2010

Feb 6: Happy Birthday Emma!

Today was the birthday of our good friends Matt & Melissa's daughter, Emma. It was held at Gymboree. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it ended up being a room full of play equipment and toys for babies/toddlers. The party itself was actually run by an empoyee of Gymboree. She led games and songs and the general play, which was really neat. Owen enjoyed himself, although he didn't always get into the group activities. It was also pretty funny to see/hear the amount of cameras in the room, most of them actually DSLRs. I brought the 50mm, so I'll be doing a lot of cropping when I post the other pictures. We got a few cute photos, as I'm sure the other parents did, so it probably ended up being a very well documented party!

Of course my picture of the day has to be the birthday girl herself, and what better picture than the cake! It's funny - everyone expects the kid to gobble up the cake and make a mess, but that doesn't always happen!


From Runners Up

50mm, f/3.2, 1/250s, ISO 800, cropped

  • I once again wimped out and used aperture priority mode and auto focus instead of manual. I knew I'd be taking a lot of photos and didn't want to miss some shots, but I should've tried manual for at least a few minutes.
  • The stuff at the top is a bit distracting, but I left it in because I wanted to show Daddy's hand so that we can see what Emma is looking at.

I'll post the other pictures from the party once I get around to doing all the cropping.

1 comment:

  1. Haha awesome candid shot! There's no shame in using AV if you're trying to do a high volume of shots, and the autofocus works for almost any situation. No point in using MF unless you need fine-tuned control, like a macro. Much harder with moving subjects.

    ReplyDelete