Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Feb 10: The Storm is Coming

Today was a bit of a rainy day, although we really only got short periods of light rain, probably not measurable. I think I've mentioned this before, but I love the weather. So I decided to see how the clouds would look through my zoom lens.


From Runners Up

100mm, f/8.0, 1/160s, ISO 100, no post-processing
  • This turned out a bit darker than reality (I think I underexposed it a touch), which is kind of the effect I was looking for.
  • I was using my 70-200mm lens, so it's interesting to note that the picture I ended up using was not actually zoomed that much. This gives you more to look at. I took a few pics with some trees in it, and although they were probably more interesting, I decided that was not the effect I was going for.
  • I was a little worried how the focus would come out, as it was hard to tell when the clouds were in focus (using manual). That's when I realized that I should close the aperture (from f4.0 to f8.0) so that I would have more wiggle room for the focus.

1 comment:

  1. When your subject is that far away, it's usually pretty easy to get it in focus. Looks cool though! I've heard shooting through a polarizer makes clouds look way better. If you do that, you'll probably have to open back up to f/4 though.

    ReplyDelete