Friday, February 5, 2010

Feb 5: Shrimp with bok choy and peaches

I didn't have any plans for my photo today until I saw dinner. Keith bought some bok choy, something we have only had once or twice before, so we looked online for a recipe. It tasted okay; the various elements didn't seem to go together. Keith didn't really like it at all. But, to be fair, we did saute it instead of grill it and had to make some ingredient substitutions.

From Runners Up

50mm, f/2.2, 1/60s, ISO 640, no post processing

  • I've paid a lot more attention to pictures I see in print media since I've been more into photography. I really enjoy looking for new recipes (more than actually making them), so I pay close attention to food pictures. Most of them seem to be fairly shallow depth of field with only part of the food in focus. They also tend to include some of the background (out of focus) and/or some kind of prop.
  • I increased this from f1.8 to f2.2 to get a little more of the food in focus. I also made an effort to include the fork in the picture.
  • I'm pretty happy with how the picture came out, although I'm disappointed in myself for changing it to aperture priority mode instead of playing around in manual (I was half being lazy and half hungry).

2 comments:

  1. Once you do make the switch to manual, there's no going back. More an more, I find myself defying the light meter. It doesn't know what I want :P

    I have never used AV. But I have used TV when I was shooting burst at a sports game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite bloggers has a photo contest for shallow depth of field. Check it out!
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/

    Her confessions and cooking sections are also awesome!
    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete