Friday, March 19, 2010

March 19: Tomato Harvest

I left work a little early today, and WOW, it was beautiful outside! So I knew I had to do something outside. I knew a lot of the tomatoes in my garden were ripe (and some were overripe), so I decided to harvest all of the red ones. I definitely have way too many to just eat plain, so I'm planning on making some sauce. But before I cut into them I wanted to take a picture (or a bunch of pictures!). Since I missed posting yesterday, I'll post two today. Some of the others that I took are in the Runner's Up album.

From Runners Up

50mm, f/3.5, 1/50s, ISO 100, no post-processing
  • I took this in manual mode because I thought aperture priority was making the pictures too bright.
  • I like how this shows both the cherry tomatoes and larger ones (I don't remember what kind I planted), the bowl, and a bit of background, but not so much that there's any distractions. It doesn't do the best job of showing just how many tomatoes I had, which is partly why I wanted to take the picture.
  • I wish that just a tad bit more was in focus, say the three tomatoes that make up a triangle in the center of the picture.


From Runners Up

50mm, f/2.2, 1/125s, ISO 100, no post-processing

  • For the second batch of pictures I put the colander on it's side and arranged the larger tomatoes in front of it. I was going for a cornucopia kind of a look. I had a hard time choosing which picture to post here.
  • I like this one because of the colors and the fact that only the one tomato in front is in focus. I also like that the colander in back is so out of focus it just looks like a plain white background.
  • You may notice at the bottom of the photo you can see the tile edging up on the left. That could easily be fixed by slightly cropping the photo, which I havn't done so you can learn from my mistakes. :-) The same applies to the bit of shading at the top right corner.

2 comments:

  1. I like them both a lot! The colors are lovely, and the first one looks like it was taken in a professional light tent or something. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the perspective and DoF of the second shot; the composition is fun and unique, and the strainer in the background creates some cute bokeh! Great captures - both of them. I really enjoy shooting produce too!

    ReplyDelete